Whether exploring the whole country by bike or just doing a motorbike day tour, a motorbike adventure is something you have to experience when traveling in Vietnam.
In this article share:
- some awesome motorbike day tours
- how to plan a motorbike tours in Vietnam
- where to get a bike
- places not to miss
- route itinerary and plenty of other useful tips
Motorbikes are a part of life in Vietnam and Motorbike tours in Vietnam, too. Cruising on the highway you see many very interesting things. A family of four on a scooter on the highway is a common occurrence. Pigs, chickens, building material or any other cargo are often tied to motorbikes in ingenious ways. Having motorbike tours in Vietnam, you can met a couple of backpackers in Hanoi selling bikes following a South to North bike trip. Don’t feel like making such a big biking commitment? Book a day tour and experience a bit of the motorbike tours in Vietnam!
Motorbike Tours in Vietnam 2022
There are amazing options for guided motorbike tours to experience Vietnam by bike in safe way. Go on a fun tour in the roads of Ho Chi Minh, Hanoi or Hoi An exploring the cities with an experienced driver on a foodie, sightseeing, culture or adventure tours.
Check out these awesome motorcycle tours, all highly rated with good reviews. When you pick a tour always check for plenty of good ratings and read a couple of Tripadvisor reviews!
Saigon -Da Lat – Nha Trang – Top southern loop motorbike tours 2022
Dalat Full day Easy rider motorbike tour – This beautiful place in the highlands was one of the highlights in Vietnam. Exploring the area sitting on the back of a motorbike taking photos. Visit pagodas, ethnic minority villages, vegetable farms, and a coffee plantation. Stop at a silk factory. Drink Kopi Luwak coffee and eating crickets.
Recommended Tour: https://vietnammotorcycletours.com/itinerary/southern-highland-explorer-5-days/
Hanoi Motorbike Tours 2022
Hanoi Sightseeing Street food Tours – Very popular bike tour in Hanoi. Start off with a visit to the Hanoi Opera House, make your way to the French Quarter, the Ho Chi Minh mausoleum, the One Pillar Pagoda, the oldest Buddhist temple, the Tran Quoc Pagoda, ride through the 36 Old Streets of Hanoi known as the Old Quarter, enjoy the diverse history, architecture, and products on this Hanoi food tours by motorbike.
Hoi An Motorbike Tours 2022
Hoi An Food Tours – sample the city’s best street food. Explore the centuries-old streets by bike, through ancient alleyways, and secret sidestreets to discover the best street food in the city. Get a taste of what the locals eat from Madam Phuong bread, Banh Beo/Water Fern Cake, Mi Quang, Cao Lau Noodles, Banh It La Gai cake, and more! Hotel Pick up and Drop off.
Ho Chi Minh Motorbike Tours – 2022
Saigon Urban scooter adventure – Highly rated tour with many reviews. Good mix, little bit of everything; city streets, markets, tourist sites and food. Picked up from your hotel, learn about historical landmark and events in Ho Chi Minh City, view unique architecture. Along the way, you’ll be revitalized by hearty bowls of flavorful noodle soup, experience some street food tour options, walk the biggest flower market, a floating market and experience the contrast of Saigon neighbourhood like District 7. Saigon Vespa Adventure also is the great out door choice!
Morning Market Motorbike Adventure – Experience the more ‘off the beaten track’ markets with fun, knowledgeable locals by bike. Get picked up from your hotel, explore interesting markets in Ho Chi Minh beyond the usual Ben Thanh Market. See the best of Saigon’s markets in the morning, interesting fresh produce, flowers & animals market – experience the most wonderful and weird sides of Saigon
Ho Chi Minh Midnight tour – Explore Ho Chi Minh’s streets at night and go beyond district 1 seeing different area’s cultures and lifestyles. Visit different districts from the modern developing city to old towns, aged apartments, local midnight markets, and an old Mafia area, make a stop at the Haunted House of Saigon! Taste some traditional Pho or Banh Mi on the way, go to vibrant nightlife of Bui Vien Street with cheap eats, bars, souvenir shops and more! This tour has hotel pick up and drop off services.
Ho Chi Minh Trail – was a system of mountain and jungle paths and trails that ran from the Democratic Republic of Vietnam (North Vietnam) to the Republic of Vietnam (South Vietnam) through the kingdoms of Laos and Cambodia. The trail was used by North Vietnam during the Vietnam war to get troops and supplies into South Vietnam. In recent times a Ho Chi Minh Highway was constructed by paving over old sections of the trail, creating a 1,000-mile paved road from Hanoi to Saigon only running through Vietnam.
Recommended: Mekong Delta Motorcycle Tours
Why Vietnam is Perfect for a Long Distance Motorbike Tour/ Vietnam Top Gears Special
- Vietnam is a long, narrow country, perfect to cross without missing anything.
- Since everybody owns a motorbike there are many very cheap bikes on the second hand market.
- Selling your bike won’t be a problem.
- Bike repairs are cheap and easy.
- Vietnam uses the Latin alphabet, making it possible to understand road signs.
Motorbike tours in Vietnam – How to Get a Bike
When going on a motorbike tours in Vietnam, you have three options to get a bike; buy a bike, rent a bike or go on a Vietnam guided motorbike tour. Buying a bike is the cheapest option since you can sell your bike again after your trip, but is more risky since you can buy a lot of problems. Renting is more hassles with insurance and returning the bike. A motorbike tour can be nice, especially if you do not feel confident driving and can sit on the back you obviously do not have the freedom you have cruising with your own bike.
Important Things when Buying a Motorbike in Vietnam- checklist
The Bluecard is your proof of ownership and identifies the bikes engine number, frame number, license plate number, and owner of the motorbike. You need bluecard for selling the bike, when transfering the bike on public transport (train) or when crossing the border to Laos or Cambodia.
Condition of the Bike
- General condition, is it clean, all rubber OK, paint job still good, no loose tape and wires
- The Frame, is it straight, no suspicious welding, no rust.
- Tyres; good condition, still plenty of tread, no cracks.
- Suspension, can ‘bounce’ returns to original position, no noises.
- Electronics all working, electric start, hooter, all lights (including brake lights)
- Test drive, everything smooth brakes, accelerates, all lights good.
If something is wrong discuss with the owner, might not be serious and easy to fix.
Negotiate to get these included.
Good helmet, Luggage rack and straps (make sure you can strap on all your stuff on to the bike), Bike lock
Download offline map, Google Maps or Maps.me very important apps to have.
PIMP/NAME YOUR RIDE!
Offered by some shops:
- Buy back by a partner shop at the other end
- Worth it? depends on how much time you have, you will get a better price selling it yourself. If you are lucky you can even sell it at a profit! It might however take a week to sell your bike.
- 24 hour helpline
- what nonsense, you are going to be far away, probably with no phone, there are shops/people that can fix bikes everywhere
- Free driver lesson
- depends on you, do you need a lesson, will one lesson help if you do?
Accommodation on a motorbike tours in Vietnam
It was never hard to find accommodation, you can stay in private rooms, sharing it is very cheap. Bigger towns and cities have hostels with shared dormitories which is awesome for meeting other travelers. If you go in season you would booking a day ahead then you know you have a good place for tomorrow. We recommend places at different budgets on our route.
Is it safe to ride a motorbike tours in Vietnam?
It is definitely not the safest way. Thousands of motorbikes, no traffic rules and it doesn’t look like local people need a licence. Huge intersections without traffic lights. Twelve year old kids driving scooters everywhere. Many trucks and buses on the road. A recipe for an interesting adventure, not for road safety. An organised group tour by bus is definitely safer. Singing born to be wild on my little motorbike and almost getting run over by huge buses made some memories cherish. Just be careful.
Strongly advise you to invest in insurance – It is an excellent option and you can get insured with them even if you are already on route.
Do you need a motorcycle driver’s license in Vietnam?
AA international license was accepted.
If you wear long pants, shoes and a helmet chances of getting pulled over is very small. It is important to note that insurance won’t cover you and you might be held responsible for the accident if you drive without a licence, spending time in a Vietnamese prison is not a cool way to end your trip.
- Ha Long Bay, 2 night boat and island trip – had an awesome tour!
- Dalat, Easy rider 1 day bike trip, “shit coffee”, elephant falls, cricket farm etc,
- Sapa, 2 Day trek through rice paddies, homestay with local family – beautiful area, amazing people at our homestay.
- Diving, Nha Trang, triple Scuba day on coral reefs of Nha Trang
- Vin Moc tunnels, tour to Vietnamese tunnels in US war, Dong Ha
- My Son, Ruins of the champa temples close to Hanoi
- Muine, White and Red sand dunes
- Night life Saigon, Partying on the sidewalk bars of the crazy Ho Chi Minh city
Tips and favorite things for motorbike tours in Vietnam
- Pimp and name your bike
- Pho Bo, Vietnamese beef noodle soup is cheap and delicious
- Vietnamese coffee is awesome, drink it with loads of condense milk, so say you want it black.
- take your time
- wear a helmet
Things to Pack motorbike tours in Vietnam
- Phone stand on your bike, awesome to use for navigation!
- A towel is an essential thing to have for an adventure or budget traveler.
- Luxtude 13400mAh Waterproof Portable ChargerThis waterproof, dustproof power bank is a life saver.
- It is great to always know essentials are safe and you get used to pouch, even in super hot climates.
- Multifunctional Headwear – protects against sun, cold and weather
- Trekking pants– light weight, quick dry.
- It can rain a lot in Vietnam and helps if you and your luggage is waterproof.
- Waterproof, 3M Reflective Backpack Cover
- Pack a good, light, waterproof jacket, this should keep you dry!